Pages

Friday, March 14, 2014

Amazed By You - My Interview with Jessica

When I was asked to interview someone whom I admired, it did not take me long to decide on someone.  My friend Jessica is one of the strongest people I know.  I have known her for quite sometime now.  But I didn't realize how truly amazing she is until recently.

Jessica adopted a baby girl about 6 months ago.  Give or take a few days.  But it was not a traditional adoption in the sense that it was not from an adoption agency.  It was a pregnant woman who was planning on giving up her baby for adoption.  And I watched Jessica help this woman, whom she really didn't know, pay for doctor appointments, food, and even transportation.  And all of this on a promise that when the time came, the baby would be hers.  And when the time came, I will tell you there was not a person in my office that was not waiting with baited breath, hoping and praying that the mother would sign the papers and the baby would officially belong to Jessica.  Even back then, I could not fathom being in her shoes.  How strong she had to be, knowing that everything could go wrong at any moment.  But it didn't...

Fast forward to two weeks ago, and the news shocked us all.  The father of baby Muesetta, has appeared, and wants to know what his rights are.  Blood tests are done.  He is confirmed the father.  And now poor Jessica is at a stand still.   She wakes up every morning not knowing what is going to happen.  Is this man going to try and take this baby girl away from her and her family?  She does not have any answers.  And I could not even imagine being in her shoes.   Every day she comes to work.  Every day she has a smile on her face.  And every day, if you didn't know her better, you would never know that anything is wrong.   And this is why I chose Jessica as someone I admire.  She truly is someone whom I look up to. If I was ever in the same shoes she is in, I hope I would be brave and strong enough to take on everything as it comes, the way she has done.   And with that said... my short, but wonderful interview with Jessica.



Me :  When life hands you lemons, how do you handle it?

Jess:  With a smile, optimism, and a prayer.  Life can always be worse, so be thankful even when faced with challenges.  We are blessed!  We have family, friends, good health, a roof over our head, and food to eat.  We have it better than 80% of the world's population.

Me:  When you set a goal, how do you make sure you execute it fully?

Jess:  Life will pass you by unless you make goals and a plan to reach your goals.  Sometimes you have to make adjustments because life happens, but schedule your day.  Be careful not to over schedule yourself.  I am constantly asking myself, "Is this a good choice?"  "Is this going to help me reach my goal?"  If it doesn't, let it go.

Me:  Your words to live by?

Jess:  The only thing you can control in life is yourself and the choices you make!

Me:  What advice would you give me to help me stick to this lifestyle change long after this contest is over?

Jess:  Be an example to your children and others.  A healthy lifestyle is a gift you can give to those around you.  Everybody needs you!  When you feel good, people around you feel good too!


Thank you Jess for taking time out of your very busy and hectic schedule to talk to me.    You are truly amazing and I hope you know I am always here for you, through the good, the bad and the ugly.  I love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment